Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I looked online FOREVER to find some neat facts about our apostles! I'll tell you the story on why I was searching for it in the first place. I was called one Saturday night (at around 9pm) to teach my son Dallin's class at church (Valient 9). I was a little nervous because believe it or not I haven't really taught many primary classes. The class went great. . .better than I expected and at the end we had a little free time. So I brought out some candy and had a "what do you know" session, where I asked gospel questions and they gave the answers for a piece of candy. First I asked," What are the names of the 2 men in our new first presidency other than our Prophet Thomas S. Monson?" Every child, except one had a blank look on their face and just stared at me. Then one boy started rattling off the names (by the way it wasn't MY son) while the others stared in disbelief . Then I thought I'd better make it easier for this class, so I said." name ANY other apostle". The kids all looked blank and couldn't name one! I was shocked! I thought at least Dallin could name one. . .but he couldn't. So needless to say I went home disappointed in myself for not teaching my kids more about these special people in my life. I want my kids to be like the one boy who knew right away our new first presidency, and better yet I want them to really KNOW them. These should be some of the most important men in our lives and most of our kids don't even know their names, or anything else about them for that matter. This has been bugging me so much that I have decided to have my family home evening all about our apostles (a get-to know you). I am thinking this might take a few FHE's to do. I am hoping that when they get to know these men, they will have a stronger desire to actually listen during Conference to what they have to say. So here's the link to pictures and facts :

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/games/apostlecards_new.pdf

** I am going to think up some fun games to play for our family home evening on getting to know the apostles. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!- Jamie

1 comment:

The Hockmans said...

Yeah, girl you updated your blog, I am so proud. Good going on the FHE lesson, you are an inspiration to us all. Hope all is going well, miss you cuz!